Drunk student killed by train after driver not warned, coroner finds


drunk student was hit and killed by a train travelling at more than 80mph after the driver was not warned that a person could be on the tracks, a coroner has found.

Hassan Zubair, 27, died at Goodmayes station in east London on December 2 last year when he was struck by the South Western Railway service from London Liverpool Street to Southend.

Acting Senior Coroner Graeme Irvine found Mr Zubair had died of multiple injuries after being struck by the train travelling at between 80 and 85mph, and also found he was suffering from “alcohol intoxication” at the time.

Issuing a report to the Chief Executive of Network Rail, the coroner raised concerns that railway staff knew there was a danger but only warned one train driver who was due to come through the station.

“At 1.40pm on December 2, 2021, Network Rail was made aware of a concern for welfare by a report from the driver of train 2W34 stationary at Platform 4, who reported seeing a member of the public on Platform 3 of Goodmayes station with no shoes on, carrying a blanket,” he wrote.

“That person was later identified as Hassan Zubair. The call resulted in two actions – at 1.43pm, the signaller advised the driver of train 2W59 (the next train due into Goodmayes station on the Up Electric line on Platform 3) to approach at caution because of a concern for welfare.

“The operator of Goodmayes station was contacted to alert staff at the station and the local security team of the concern.

“Moments later, Mr Zubair was struck at 1.45 by the 13:33 London Liverpool Street to Southend Victoria train 1K50 on the Down Main line.

“Critically, this train had received no warning to approach with caution and accordingly was travelling at a speed estimated to be between 80-85 mph. Mr Zubair was killed instantly.”

The coroner warned of a risk of future deaths without action and ordered Network Rail to respond by July 15. He also sent his report to Transport Secretary Grant Shapps and members of Mr Zubair’s family.

Following an inquest which concluded on May 11, the coroner concluded Mr Zubair, from Ilford, deliberately went on to the tracks in the moments before he was struck by the train but it “has not been possible to determine his intentions at the time”.

Ellie Burrows, Network Rail’s route director for Anglia said: “This was a very tragic incident and our thoughts are with Mr Zubair’s family at this difficult time.

“We take incidents like this very seriously and we have been fully engaged throughout the process. As this is ongoing, it is not appropriate to comment further.”

Source link

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: