With Father’s Day around the corner, many of us are challenged with finding gifts for the dad who has everything. Last year I helped my son and daughter create personalized books for dad.
Why Create Personalized Books for Dad?
Having one of a kind book from a spouse, child, grandchild, etc., is something every dad is sure to treasure for years to come. It’s so much more special than a tie, tool, or grill set. Sometimes, a print on the wall just isn’t enough. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but for life’s greatest memories, “one thousand words” is not always enough. Few things can tell a story the way a photo book can.
There are so many online tools available online that can help you make personalized books for dad without breaking the bank. It can be overwhelming for many people to create photo books, especially if you only have basic knowledge of design and formatting book interiors. No need to fear, we got you covered.
Note: photo books are more expensive as you add pages longer than provided templates.
DIY and Online Personalized Photo Books for Dad
You may think that a DIY scrapbook is the most economical choice, but scrapbooking materials can add up quickly.
If you are looking to create a simple photo album without decorations, this is a good way to go. Visit your local craft store for all of the items you’ll need to create this type of personalized book for dad.
After trying many services for different photo books, Mixbook is my absolute favorite. It has great software, reasonable prices, and produced a lovely book. Last fall, the New York Times also chose Mixbook as the photo book service.
- Versatile, flexible, creative software
- Easy to use
- Attractive fully editable templates
- Generous searchable libraries of great backgrounds, templates, layouts and clip art
No drop shadow for text
- $ 29.99 for an 8.5 x 8.5-inch hardcover book with a glossy cover.
- 8.5 x 11 (from $ 39.99)
- 12 x 12 (from $ 69.99)
- 14 x 11 inches (from $ 79.99).
- Softcover 8 x 6 for $ 15.99
- Layflat books start at $ 79 for an 8.5 x 8.5-inch book.
Walmart Photo offers a great value if you’re looking to create basic photo books. With some of the best editing tools available, the site makes it easy to design and customize an album.
- Easy to use
- Excellent editing tools
- Photos can look dull and muted
- The cover is lower quality
- Pages are thin
Walmart Pricing – starting from
- $ 9.96 for 5 × 7 softcover
- $ 19.96 for 8 × 11 hardcover
- $ 21.96 for 8 × 8 hardcover
- $ 16.96 for 5 × 7 hardcover
- $ 16.96 for 8 × 11 softcover
Creating a personalized book for dad is fun and easy with Canva. I have used the free version of the program for years to do everyday design work. Canva offers a wide range of features for free and has a paid upgrade with additional features. If you are strictly talking about creating a photo book, using the free version is the best option.
- A wide variety of photo book templates
- Free version is very powerful and can do most tasks
- Fun text ideas and effects
- Relatively inexpensive
- Design on your photo via the Canva App
- Photo editing features are basic
- Special effects do not work very well
Not many photo book templates specifically for fathers
Canva Pricing starts from
- $ 20 for 8 × 6 softcover $ 25 hardcover
- $ 30 for 8.5 × 11 softcover $ 35 hardcover
- $ 50 14 × 10.5 hardcover only
Shutterfly is probably the most well-known photo printing company. They offer the ability for even beginners to make a professional-looking book. You can choose from dozens of different design templates to get the right style for your specific book theme. Short on Time? Shutterfly has added a free option for their designers to create your photo book for you? How cool is that?
- Excellent customer support
- Fast shipping
- Huge variety of templates
- Great specials around holidays – eg, unlimited free additional pages
- Free “Make my Book” option
- Without special offers, $ 2.49 per additional page can quickly add up.
Snapfish was the second service I tried after Shutterfly. The service makes it easy to choose your design with prices clearly listed next to each option. The step-by-step guide is especially useful for beginners. With over 100 templates, Snapfish leads over many of its competitors. For those looking for a simple photo book, these templates will be a major benefit.
- Lots of customization options
- Prices listed under each book size
- Lower quality than some services
- Fewer delivery options
Snapfish Pricing – ranging from:
- $ 19.99 is the cheapest option for an 8 × 8, which is the only softcover option
- $ 109 for the premium lay-flat hardcover
- A variety of sizes and pricing between these options
With many of the online services, it’s easy to design and print your own personalized photo album in a few simple steps. Just choose the right size and design and upload your pictures from your computer. Some services allow you to upload from Facebook, Flickr and Instagram too. Choose an option and have fun creating a personalized book for dad!